Why does there seem to be an influx of jumping to I-love-you's, out-of-town trips, multiple 20-slide posts on Instagram captioned with paragraphs and paragraphs about how much someone "loves" another person not even a full month into the relationship?
Something I can't stand to see the most is people who move way too quickly when real emotions should be involved. Especially in the age of the internet. In 2026, it feels like everything we do is for the entertainment of others. Everything is a performance, even the most private and intimate parts of our lives, i.e. our relationships.
Whatever happened to getting to really know the people we are interested in and keeping it private?
If I had a dollar for each time a guy told me he "loved" me before the one-month mark, I'd have about 5 bucks. Now, I'm not typically one to put a clock on love but come on. Do you know that I like to eat my burgers bun and then the patty? Or that my dream is to be a journalist for CNN? Hell, do you even know my middle name, or what my favorite ice cream flavor is?
How can you love me without knowing a single thing about me? How can you love me without even being curious enough about me to ask?
For all of these reasons, a nice, quiet slow burn is all I'm looking for in my future relationships. Every guy my age is seemingly so obsessed with the end goal of a relationship without even working to get there; they want the closeness and intimacy without actually getting close to their partners.
The saying goes, "to be loved is to be known," NOT, "to be loved is to be posted."
Nothing is more romantic than a soft, slow, peaceful love. A love that exists for strictly both parties involved. A month in, we aren't sharing empty I-love-you's and reposting corny TikToks about each other's physical attributes. Instead, we're asking deep questions and having the difficult conversations. We're learning each other's quirks and eccentricities, boundaries; we're becoming best friends.
We all deserve a true connection, not a charade of a relationship for the appeasement of our followers.
.gif)

Ehh they're less common, yes. Me and my bf had the slowest of the slowest of slow burns, but we kept it private till people started putting the pieces together. Honestly wouldn't change it any other way and I love being able to keep personal things private and to myself. Sometimes, there is no need to share or tell people every little thing you did on a date. 100% agree.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I love that so much!
Deletethis!! i was going to write an article on this too AHH
ReplyDeleterecently, my girlfriends are getting into relationships and 2 weeks in they've already started throwing around the i-love-you's. i don't have a problem with the phrase itself, it's the situation & lack of value. there's a major difference between "i LOVE you" and "i love YOU". infatuation vs devotion.
please let's break free from this modern-era curse ᴖ̈
Couldn't agree more! No lie, I once had a guy tell me he loved me on the first date (‘◉⌓◉’)
ReplyDeletecouldn't agree more!
ReplyDelete